Fun Facts and Strange News

Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.

– The marijuana that’s used in research studies legally has to come from a lab at the University of Mississippi . . . and apparently, it’s pretty weak.

 

–  The sun makes up 99.9% of the mass in the Solar System . . . all of the planets, moons, asteroids, and comets make up the other 0.1%.

 

–  The phrase “hands down” comes from horse racing.  If a jockey was so far in the lead he could drop his hands and loosen the reins, it meant he was winning “hands down.”

 

–  The Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in Paris in August of 1911, by an Italian guy named Vincenzo Peruggia.  And it wasn’t recovered until December of 1913.  Which actually helped make it the most famous painting in the world.

 

–  The people behind Baby Ruth candy bars claimed they weren’t named after Babe Ruth . . . they were named after President Grover Cleveland’s daughter Ruth.  But she’d died from diphtheria 17 years before the candy bars came out.

 

(Futurism / UCSD.edu / Phrases.org / CNN / History)

 

Strange and trending news:

– The happiest people overall are women who aren’t married and don’t have kids, according to a new study.  But men have the opposite experience . . . married men are happier than single men.  (Full Story)

 

–  A woman from Northern Ireland who married the ghost of a 300-year-old pirate says the marriage wasn’t great.  She says all the sex took a toll and made her sick . . . and when she divorced the ghost, he threatened to kill her.  (Full Story)

 

–  A woman recently wrote into a newspaper advice column because she’s started dating her dead boyfriend’s 21-year-old son.  While she’s not the kid’s mother, she DID have two children with her boyfriend . . . so that means she’s now dating their half-brother, and they’ve disowned her because of it.  (Full Story)

 

–  Pizza Hut just changed the recipe of its original pan pizza for the first time in almost 40 years.  They say the new version took three years to develop and has a crispier crust and a “more flavorful” sauce and blend of cheese.  (Full Story)

 

–  Chipotle is giving out free burritos during the NBA Finals this year.  Every time the announcers say the word “free” during a game, Chipotle will tweet a code.  And if you’re one of the first 500 people to text that code to them, they’ll give you a free burrito.  (Full Story)

 

–  A guy in North Carolina was filling up his Lamborghini at a Walmart gas station on Saturday when it caught on FIRE.  No one was hurt, but the car was a total loss.  (Full Story)

 

–  An 81-year-old man in England wanted to drive to Rome to see the Vatican . . . but accidentally typed “Rom” into his GPS.  So, it took him to a small town called Rom in Germany, about 1,000 miles from Rome.  He was so confused when he got there that he crashed into a sign.  (Full Story)

 

–  A woman in Florida spanked her stepson with a belt on Sunday night for missing his curfew . . . and he’s 26 years old.  She was arrested for domestic battery.  (Full Story)

 

–  A guy in Indiana tried to jump a bridge that was out during a police chase on Sunday.  When his car got stuck, he bailed . . . but he left behind his PROSTHETIC LEG that was wearing a green Croc.  The cops are trying to track him down.  (Full Story)

Car Chase, Bridge Out, Skidding to a halt…. Officers had quite the caper last night.IMPD East District Late Shift…

Posted by IMPD East District on Monday, May 27, 2019

–  A 13-year-old kid in England recently snapped out of a three-week coma . . . after his mom sprayed him with his favorite Axe Body Spray scent.  (Full Story)