Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– The first satellite images on Google Maps weren’t taken by satellites . . . they were taken by planes.
– When Oregon became a state in 1859, its constitution banned black people from living or working in the state. And they didn’t change the law until 1926.
– Only one member of the Coast Guard has ever received the Medal of Honor. His name was Douglas Munro, and he got it for saving 500 Marines who were trapped by Japanese forces during a World War Two battle in 1942. Sadly, he died in the process.
– George Lucas gave Mel Brooks permission to parody “Star Wars” with “Spaceballs”, he just had one rule: No merchandising. Brooks agreed, and Lucas’s visual effect company Industrial Light and Magic did the special effects.
– Ten of the first 12 presidents owned slaves. The only ones who didn’t were John Adams and his son, John Quincy Adams.
Strange and trending news:
– According to a new survey, the most common “rules of the house” parents have for their kids include always saying “please” and “thank you” . . . always putting things back where you found them . . . no phones at the table . . . and no yelling. (Full Story)
– Are these drinks better with or without ice? According to a new survey, 86% say lemonade is better with ice . . . 65% like whiskey with ice . . . 48% like white wine with ice . . . and 4% like BEER with ice. (Full Story)
– Little Caesars is testing a new pizza all four quarters have a different kind of crust. There’s one covered in cheese, one in bacon, one in jalapenos, and one in spices. There’s no word on when it’s going to go nationwide. (Full Story)
— ChewBoom (@ChewBoom) June 4, 2019
– When is the last time you’ve picked up a landline phone to talk to someone? According to a new survey, 40% of people have used a landline in the past few days . . . but 25% of us haven’t used one in at least six months, and 2% have NEVER used one. (Full Story)
– Microsoft Xbox just announced they are teaming up with the people behind Axe Body Spray to make a new line of bright green shower products for gamers. They go on sale in Australia and New Zealand next month . . . but there’s no word on whether they’ll expand to other countries. (Full Story)
– According to a new survey, 5% of people say they’re more afraid of SUPERNATURAL creatures, like demons and ghosts, than they are of “deranged” real people, like serial killers or murderous cults. (Full Story)
– A woman in Texas was at a restaurant’s karaoke night on Saturday and she got into a fight with a guy over who was next to sing. She wound up hitting him and pulling a gun on him . . . so she was arrested on two felony charges. (Full Story)
– A guy in Florida dumped a bunch of KETCHUP on his girlfriend on Saturday night, when she went to sleep after an argument. He was arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery. (Full Story)
– A homeless guy in Austin just re-enrolled at the University of Texas, 44 YEARS after dropping out because of mental health and addiction issues. (Full Story)