Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Mushrooms and other fungi share more DNA with PEOPLE than they do with vegetables.
– The movie “Footloose” was originally called “Cheek to Cheek”.
– There are six U.S. presidents who’d never been elected to any office before they became president: Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Donald Trump.
-Haggis is the national dish of Scotland . . . but it was actually invented in England. So THEY get the credit for chopping up a sheep’s heart and lungs, mixing it with a bunch of other crap, jamming it all in a stomach casing, and calling it food.
– Steven Spielberg turned down an offer to direct the first “Harry Potter” movie because he thought it wouldn’t be challenging . . . and that it should have been animated.
Strange and trending news:
– A SHOCKING number of people don’t wear deodorant, according to a new survey, especially younger people. 39% of people between 18 and 24 haven’t worn deodorant in the past month, and about half of people in that age range haven’t even BOUGHT the stuff in the past year. (Full Story)
– There’s a woman from Illinois whose real name is . . . Marijuana Pepsi. And she’s proved that having one of the world’s worst names can’t hold you down . . . because she just earned her Ph.D. And now she says, quote, “I’m going to be called Dr. Marijuana Pepsi.” (Full Story)
– A new survey found the most common “summer fails.” Some of the big ones are: Watching too much TV and missing out on the fun . . . not wearing a hat . . . not reapplying sunscreen . . . and too much drinking in the sun. (Full Story)
– Chick-fil-A now does the third-highest sales of any chain in the U.S. McDonald’s is first, and Starbucks is second. (Full Story)
-A new version of Monopoly is coming out on July 1st . . . and it’s totally cashless. All the banking is done electronically . . . by a voice-controlled, talking top hat. If you’re interested, you can preorder it at Amazon now for $30. (Full Story)
– A new study ranked all 50 states from most to least INDEPENDENT, based on everything from debt to government aid. The most independent states are Utah and Nebraska . . . and the least are Kentucky and Alaska. (Full Story)
– 95% of Americans say they HATE MORNINGS, according to a new survey. And 43% of us, quote, “despise” the sound of our alarm clock. (Full Story)
– According to a new survey, 37% of people say they’ve had a “life eureka” moment on a vacation where suddenly they figured out something major . . . from relationships to their career. (Full Story)
– The average American says it’d take them SEVEN YEARS to blow through $10 million, according to a new survey. And the top things we’d splurge on are a dream home and traveling. (Full Story)
– A burglar in Florida was busted for a break-in spree last week . . . and he’d brought a four-year-old girl along with him. He was arrested on several charges, including burglary and child neglect. (Full Story)
– A Texas couple was hoping the groom’s 100-year-old grandmother could be at their wedding later this year. But her health has been deteriorating. So, they moved their wedding date up six months, and recently got married in her hospital room. (Full Story)