Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– An art historian spotted a rare, long lost painting in the background of the movie “Stuart Little”. It turns out the set designer bought it cheap at an antique store . . . and no one knew it was worth over $250,000.
– A bee would only need two tablespoons of honey to have enough energy to fly all the way around the world.
– In the 1930s, playing card companies tried to add a fifth suit of cards: The eagle. It didn’t catch on, and the decks with the eagle cards were gone by the 1950s.
– Even though it seems unbelievable, Washington is the only state that’s named after a president.
– When Disneyland opened in 1955, the Tomorrowland area was designed to look like a year in the distant future . . . 1986.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey found the top things that can ruin a vacation are lost luggage, no internet, food poisoning, bad weather, and a lost credit card. (Full Story)
– A new survey asked people who they’re most nervous to cook for. And the top five are: My parents . . . friends . . . extended family . . . my mother-in-law . . . and my siblings. (Full Story)
– Olive Garden is selling LIFETIME pasta passes this year. On Thursday, 50 people who buy one of Olive Garden’s annual nine-week unlimited pasta passes will have the chance to upgrade to a lifetime pass for $500. (Full Story)
– Chick-fil-A is finally serving mac and cheese. They’ve been testing it for the past few years, and yesterday they rolled it out nationwide. (Full Story)
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) August 13, 2019
– Bags of JUST Lucky Charms marshmallows are coming to stores this month. Lucky Charms teamed up with Jet-Puffed Marshmallows to make them, so they’ll be a little bigger and fluffier than the ones in the cereal. (Full Story)
– Dunkin’ Donuts is rolling out its entire pumpkin spice menu next Wednesday . . . which is August 21st, and it feels a LITTLE early to declare it “fall.” Starbucks is showing a little more restraint . . . rumors suggest the Pumpkin Spice Latte won’t be back until August 27th. (Full Story)
– Here’s a new dating term for you: DOGFISHING. That’s when someone poses for their dating profile pics with a dog or other pet that’s not theirs. (Full Story)
– Here’s a crazy story that was posted on Reddit. A woman says her younger sister just got pregnant . . . so she asked if she could take over the woman’s wedding date and venue in September and get married then instead. And when the woman said no, her sister and family got MAD at her. (Full Story)
– There’s a woman in England who says she wants to get a BUTT LIFT because, quote, “I need it for my mental health.” She was able to scam the government into paying for her nose job by faking depression, but now they won’t pay for her butt, so she’s crowdfunding the surgery. She’s currently at $14.50. (Full Story)
– A guy in Germany jumped off a balcony while running from police yesterday and landed directly on a WASPS’ NEST. He had to jump in a pool to get away from them and got arrested. (Full Story)
– There’s a 30-year-old guy with special needs in Texas who recently lost his father and has no other immediate family. Now his former teacher from junior high has stepped up and wants to take custody of him. (Full Story)