FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– The winner in nine of the 58 presidential elections in U.S. history had a popular vote margin under 1%. That includes the five winning candidates who lost the popular vote, and four others who won it by less than 1%.
– Coffee breaks come from a tradition in the 1800s called “elevenses” . . . where people would get a break from work at 11:00 A.M. to drink WHISKEY.
– The N.W.A song “Boyz-n-the-Hood” didn’t make the Billboard Top 100 chart when it debuted in 1987 . . . but it DID make the chart after the movie “Straight Outta Compton” came out in 2015.
– James Cameron drew the topless picture of Kate Winslet that was used in “Titanic”.
– The French word for “paper clip” is “trombone.” Now that you think about it, trombones DO kind of look like paper clips, right?
Strange and trending news:
– A new poll for Friday the 13th found almost a third of Americans are superstitious, including 9% who admitted they’re VERY superstitious. (Full Story)
– If you had the option, would you rather get paid DAILY? Or do you like getting paychecks in a big lump sum, so you have to wait and can’t spend it all? A new survey found a third of us would rather get paid more than twice a month. (Full Story)
– Dating is expensive, and I mean REALLY expensive. A new study found that over the course of their life, the average American will spend just over $121,000 on dates. And dating expenses actually go UP once we’re married. (Full Story)
– A website is looking for a, quote, “Starbucks addict” who’d be willing to stop going there for a month . . . and go to only local, independent coffee shops instead. You’ll have to document it on social media . . . and they’ll pay you $1,000. (Full Story)
– The porn company BangBros just put in a $10 million bid for the NAMING RIGHTS to the Miami Heat’s arena. Right now, it’s called the American Airlines Arena, but American Airlines just announced they’re dropping their naming rights, so other companies can bid. (Full Story)
-If you want a chicken sandwich at Popeyes, they just tweeted a tongue-in-cheek plan: Bring your own bun and slap some chicken tenders on it. (Full Story)
Try our new BYOB! It’s basically The Sandwich! Only no mayo. Or pickles. And you bring your own bun… Really it’s just three tenders… pic.twitter.com/9jOFyfdae4
— Popeyes Chicken (@PopeyesChicken) September 12, 2019
– A married couple in England recently split up after one year . . . when both the man and the woman came out as gay. They say now they’re planning to double date. (Full Story)
– 95-year-old identical twins in England say their keys to long life are drinking lots of beer . . . and not having sex. Oh, and they also eat raw sausages. (Full Story)
– A guy who was set to receive a commendation from the White House for his heroism during the mass shooting in El Paso last month made it up . . . he didn’t actually distract the shooter like he claimed. And when he went to the White House on Monday to get his commendation, he was detained by the Secret Service . . . because he had an outstanding warrant. (Full Story)
– A guy in New York broke into a home last week . . . then made a BOOTY CALL and invited a woman over. She actually showed up . . . but a neighbor called the cops, and the guy was arrested for burglary. (Full Story)
– Two women were having sex at a Days Inn in Maryland on Monday . . . but someone thought they were fighting and called the front desk. One of the women got in a fight with the security guard who checked on them, and she pulled her GUN . . . which went off as they fought. She was arrested on several charges. (Full Story)
– A couple in Pennsylvania held a “community baby shower” last week and gave out gift baskets to 150 new moms and dads who are struggling or didn’t get to have a baby shower of their own. (Full Story)