Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Tiramisu was invented in Italian brothels because they believed it was an aphrodisiac.
– The highest point in Connecticut is on a mountain called Mount Frissell. But it’s not even the peak of the mountain . . . that’s across the border in Massachusetts.
– Ikea started as a mail-order business that sold pencils and postcards.
– One pound of dimes and one pound of quarters are worth the same amount. Two hundred dimes weigh one pound and are worth $20 . . . 80 quarters weigh one pound and are worth $20.
– Dinosaurs existed before flowers. Scientists believe flowering plants evolved as a response to dinosaurs . . . because plants needed protection against vegetarian dinosaurs. So, they developed toxic flowers, then eventually evolved to have nontoxic flowers once the dinosaurs were gone.
Strange and trending news:
– Police in Toronto pulled over someone whose plates expired in August of 1989. (Full Story)
– Here are the picks for the worst tech of the year from “USA Today”, including Quibi, the PlayStation 5 rollout, the TikTok ban, and Mark Zuckerberg. (Full Story)
– A consumer safety group just released its annual list of the 10 worst toys for kids. (Full Story)
– Fifteen alleged mafia members in Philadelphia have been indicted . . . including guys known as Joey Electric and Tony Meatballs. (Full Story)
– A man in Australia won a lottery jackpot on his late father’s birthday by playing his dad’s favorite numbers. (Full Story)
– Vegans have a 43% higher chance of breaking bones than people who eat meat, according to a new study. (Full Story)
– A helicopter spotted a strange, almost alien looking metal structure in the ground in a remote part of Utah. (Full Story)
– A new study found people over 45 have a higher risk of catching STDs than ever before. (Full Story)
– Scientists are now using artificial intelligence to recreate the smell of Europe in the 16th century. That’s before there was indoor plumbing, so it’s going to be quite a smell. (Full Story)
– A surgeon in Saudi Arabia had a fatal heart attack in the middle of operating on a patient. (Full Story)
– A guy in New Hampshire with half a beard was arrested for threatening two cops. (Full Story)