Fun Facts and Strange News

That’s one talented bird!  

Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…

Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:    

  • The lyrebird can mimic almost any sound it hears . . . including human voices and chainsaws, which is probably alarming for its neighboring creatures.

 

  • Pumpkins, squash, and gourds are all technically the same species.  It’s “Cucurbita pepo,” a species that originated in Mexico more than 10,000 years ago.

 

  • Only one NFL team has a plant for a logo.  The New Orleans Saints’ French-inspired fleur-de-lis is actually a stylized lily.

 

  • Women didn’t start shaving their armpits until the mid-1910s.

 

  • Twelve plus one equals eleven plus two.  Twelve plus one is also an anagram of eleven plus two.

 

(Ned Hardy / Phipps / “Jeopardy!” / Mental Floss / Reddit)

 

Strange and trending news:

  • Today is National Banana Split Day.  (Full Story)

 

  • A Washington state jail is giving inmates 10 free packs of ramen noodles in exchange for getting the vaccine.  It’s called “Soups for Shots,” and so far, the jail has given out 900 packets of ramen to 90 inmates.  (Full Story)

 

  • 83% of people say a well-maintained CARPET improves their confidence in a business’s cleanliness.  55% say they feel more comfortable at a hotel with clean carpets.  Apparently, the other 45% don’t care?  (Full Story)

 

  • There’s a hot, trendy new sensation at coffee shops in New York City:  Milk that’s made from . . . COWS.  Yes, dairy milk is making a comeback.  (Full Story)

 

  • More than half of Americans say they’ve read at least one “serious” book this summer, in an effort to appear smarter.  (Full Story)

 

  • Purdue University is welcoming its largest freshman class ever, and they’re reportedly struggling to house them.  There are videos online of auxiliary housing that resembles “dorm cubicles” or barracks.  (Full Story)

 

  • An Alaska Airlines flight was evacuated in Washington state on Monday after a passenger’s cellphone caught fire.  It happened in the cabin, while the plane was waiting at the gate.  No one was hurt.  (Full Story)

 

  • The world’s fastest-accelerating roller coaster is in Japan, and it’s been shut down for now, because people keep BREAKING THEIR BONES as the coaster reaches “super death speed.”  (Full Story)