Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- The two least-viewed Wikipedia articles last year were both on moth species. They both only had THREE page views in 2021.
- The Heaven’s Gate lookout in Idaho has views of four different states: Idaho, obviously . . . plus Oregon, Washington, and Montana.
- The world’s first skyscraper was the Home Insurance Building in Chicago. It was finished in 1885 and was a whopping 138 feet . . . or 10 stories. It was demolished in 1931.
- The biggest sports venue in the world is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is the home of the Indy 500. It has permanent seating for more than 257,000 people . . . and the infield can hold another 150,000 or so.
- Kentucky makes 95% of the bourbon in the world . . . but the official state drink is milk.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Iced Tea Day. Apparently, iced tea first became popular on a mainstream level at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis.
Not iced tea – but this made me think of this…
(I love iced tea – for the record)
- A courthouse in upstate New York was closed for fumigation this week after “hundreds of cockroaches were released” during an altercation at an arraignment. It’s unclear exactly what happened, but apparently, someone brought them into the courtroom in plastic containers and released them. (Full Story)
- Millennials have taken a break from chastising Boomers to share hot takes on younger generations. Like how they watch concerts, live, through their phones . . . when they act like jerks in public for TikTok videos . . . and how they “educate themselves solely based on what they’ve seen on the internet.” (Full Story)
- Researchers have found that eye damage caused by too much screen time can eventually lead to damage of other vital organs and even a shortened lifespan. So keep that in mind if you want to scare your kids. (Full Story)
- More THRILLING news for fans of fish. According to new research, eating fish at least twice a week could make you more likely to develop skin cancer. On the plus side, you’re probably okay if you eat FRIED fish. (Full Story)
- A Colorado board of trustees is weighing a proposal to change a town’s name from Moffat to Kush, in honor of the local marijuana industry. (Full Story)
- Chick-fil-A is bringing back their peach milkshake starting on Monday. (Full Story)