Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- Upon receiving the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 1962, Rita Moreno delivered one of the shortest acceptance speeches in Oscars history. She said, “I can’t believe it! Good Lord! I leave you with that.” (Here’s video.)
- Only three movies have won all of the “Big Five” Oscars: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and either Best Adapted or Original Screenplay. They are“The Silence of the Lambs”, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”, and a Clark Gable romantic comedy called “It Happened One Night”. It won’t happen this year since no movie is nominated in all five categories.
- “Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me”is an Oscar-nominated movie. It was up for Best Makeup at the 2000 Oscars but lost to “Topsy-Turvy”.
- Emil Jannings won Best Actor at the first Oscars in 1929 . . . but he actually came in SECOND in the voting to Rin Tin Tin. Yeah . . . the dog. The Academy wanted to make sure people took them seriously, so they gave Jannings the Oscar.
- The record for the number of Oscars for one movie is 11. Three movies have done it: “Ben-Hur” . . . “Titanic” . . . and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”. This year, “Everything Everywhere All at Once” leads the way with 11 nominations, but it can’t tie this record, because two of the 11 are in the same category. Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu are both nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Unless they TIE, I guess. But that won’t happen.
(Statista / Wikipedia / IMDb / Deadline / Wikipedia)
Strange and trending news:
- Today is Middle Name Pride Day.
- A vegan man in Maine picked the custom license plate “L-U-V-T-O-F-U” . . . because he loves tofu. But the state recalled the plates because there’s another way to read that, which is more vulgar. (Full Story)
- A woman Tweeted out a photo of Easter marshmallows from Aldi that are supposed to be shaped like bunnies and chicks. But SHE sees something different . . . something PHALLIC. And Aldi sees it too. They responded, “We can’t even defend this one.” (Full Story)
- Sit up straight! Sony has filed a patent for software that will evaluate a video gamer’s posture. (Full Story)
- Dole Whip . . . everyone’s favorite Disney snack . . . is coming to your local grocery store in three flavors: Pineapple, mango, and strawberry. (Full Story)
- Gum sales are down . . . a lot . . . from pre-pandemic. (Full Story)
- A man is trying to kill the stigma around MSG by opening a Chinese restaurant where EVERYTHING contains it . . . even the cocktails. He says that Asians are unfairly shamed over MSG . . . because no one cares about it being in American stuff like Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup, Chick-fil-A, and Doritos. (Full Story)
- Women in Berlin will be allowed to go topless at the city’s public pools, just like men. (Full Story)