Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- About 95% of Egypt’s population lives on about 4% of the land. It’s a green belt roughly half the size of Ireland that follows the Nile as it snakes through the desert, then fans out into the Nile Delta.
- “Wall Street” is the only movie that’s won an Oscar and a Razzie. Michael Douglas won the Best Actor Oscar . . . Daryl Hannah won the Worst Supporting Actress Razzie.
- The first product to use a UPC symbol with a barcode was a pack of Juicy Fruit gum, in 1974. And it’s now in the Smithsonian.
- Rodney King and David Lee Roth both went to John Muir High School in Pasadena, California . . . but King was there 15 years later. And Jackie Robinson went there several decades earlier.
- The biggest temperature change over a 24-hour period in history happened on January 15th, 1972, in Loma, Montana. The temperature jumped from negative 54 degrees all the way up to 49 degrees. That’s a 103-degree swing.
(Columbia University / Wikipedia / Wikipedia / Wikipedia / Wikipedia)
Strange and trending news:
- Someone was surprised that throwing a banana peel out of a vehicle was a crime in Alabama . . . because “it’s biodegradable.” It’s still littering. And banana peels take around two years to break down. (Full Story)
- A 63-year-old kidnapping victim escaped from the trunk of his own car . . . after police said the thieves crashed it into a home in Seattle. (Full Story)
- A “tech millionaire” had his Jaguar stolen by a Tinder date . . . but there were a TON of red flags from the start. (Full Story)
- A list of foods families most regularly throw away is topped by . . . “leftovers.” (Full Story) (The tuna noodle casserole that Aunt Patty sent over is #2.)
- Someone noticed that we’re in the middle of 10 days of “palindrome dates.” A palindrome is a sequence that reads the same backward as forward. So today is 3-23-23, which is also the same backward. (Full Story)
- A bill being considered in California that would supposedly ban the sale of Skittles, Hot Tamales candy, Dubble Bubble Twist Gum, and other items, due to certain chemicals and dyes they contain. (Full Story)
- Have you seen that TikTok where some guy claimed that KFC offers FREE REFILLS on buckets of chicken? It’s a hoax. Seems like a lot of people are trying it though because KFC shot it down on Twitter. (Full Story)