Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- Last season, the league average of salaries in the WNBA was $103,000, and the top salary was $228,000. Three players got that: Jewell Loyd . . . Breanna Stewart . . . and Diana Taurasi. The average salary in the NBA is $8.5 million. The highest base salary this past year was Steph Curry, who made $48 million . . . or 21,000% higher than the top WNBA pay.
- The world’s first breast implants were given to a DOG named Esmeralda in Texas in 1962 . . . as a test to see if they’d work. They did, so doctors started giving them to people.
- Only 35 people have ever gone scuba diving below 790 feet.
- George Lucas didn’t win any Oscars for “Star Wars” . . . but his ex-wife did. Marcia Lucas won the Oscar for Best Film Editing for “Star Wars” in 1978. She and George got divorced in 1983.
- The phrase “When it rains, it pours” comes from a Morton Salt ad from the 1910s.
(NBC Sports / The Guardian / Wikipedia / SF Gate / Morton Salt)
Strange and trending news:
- There was a wild road rage incident in Philadelphia on Wednesday. A man smashed a woman’s car window with a crowbar, and she responded by shooting him in the groin. The woman was licensed to carry. The man is in critical condition. It’s unclear what sparked the confrontation. (Full Story)
- A list of the “10 Angriest Airports in America” is topped by John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California, and Jacksonville International in Florida. (Full Story)
- A 23-year-old woman was arrested after breaking into a restaurant in Georgia in the middle of the night . . . and making herself a SALAD. (Full Story)
- In 2020, about 1-in-6 people in the U.S. were age 65 and over. In 1920, this proportion was less than 1-in-20. (Full Story)
- A guy skateboarded across the U.S. in just 57 days . . . from Venice Beach, California to Virginia Beach, Virginia. (Full Story)
- A summer camp counselor shared the names of a set of triplets to Reddit, claiming that somehow “everyone matches their name to a T.” They are: Ryatt (male), Rayge (Male), Kathleen (female). (Full Story)
- Charlotte, North Carolina is letting the public name a street sweeper. The finalists are: Clearopathra, Sweep Caroline, and Sweepy McSweepface. (Full Story)